Monday, August 30, 2010

Hanging in Westport with the Hippies




Today was like most days... everyone is up and Alex is still asleep! Dan, Brenna and I head to the beach to check it out in the morning light. It's completely clouded over but beautiful. How can you beat waking up to the sound of waves crashing?

Off to explore the little quaint towns in this area. Last night (at the only store in town) we met some girls who invited us to the town BBQ fundraiser for the fire department. Sounded good... but first, Glass Beach! We headed south to check it out. As we hiked down the path we came across wild blackberries growing everywhere! Joining in with the locals, we picked the gorgeous berries and stuffed ourselves, spitting out the sour ones.

We headed down the path to a beautiful beach where we searched for glass treasures. Finding the white ones was easy... the blues and greens were tougher and occasionally we'd stumble on a pink or yellow one! I really enjoyed the search and now have a tub of sea glass as my memento of this trip.

After going through cute areas and a little shopping, we headed in for the local event.

It was not Mission Viejo...

Well, the people were really nice and the food was great but it was a total throw back to the 60's. Let's just say, I wouldn't let the kids eat the brownies! Great band was playing and I thoroughly enjoyed the 'dancing'. I think it takes special brownies to dance that way. Alex wouldn't let me take any photos but I will have these moves and outfits embedded in my head for a loooong time.

I also learned that I too can apparently do belly dancing... you don't have to be a size 2 in Westport to shimmy! Don't worry, I like you too much to subject you to that!

Back to camp for some bike riding for the girls.

Great day and night but time to rest and head to Oregon.

No comments: